It’s possible to attach a wired printer to Google Cloud Print. Why would you want to do this, considering a PC or laptop can send print jobs directly to the printer, without Google Cloud Print?
The answer: Other laptops, PCs, and mobile devices on the same network will be able to wirelessly print Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides files. It’s a cool feature, albeit one that requires extra setup steps to make it work.
Here are the instructions for enabling a wired printer to be used with Google Cloud Print services:
- Make sure the wired printer is turned on and connected to the PC or laptop you are using with a USB cable.
- Launch Google Chrome, and click the More actions icon (three dots in the upper right corner of the browser window).
- Click Settings, then Advanced.
- Scroll down to Google Cloud Print and select it.
- Select Manage Cloud Print Devices.
- Under Classic Printers, click Add Printers.
- Select from available devices.
Once Google Cloud Print is enabled for a wired printer attached to a PC or a laptop, the printer will not need to be configured for other computers and devices connected to the same wireless network.